Did you know?!?
- If you hire an unlicensed contractor or ARE
an unlicensed contractor doing work in the state of Virginia, it
is considered a Class l Misdemeanor and there is a $2500.00 fine
and/or 12 months in jail
- Most homeowners' insurance policies don't
cover workers' compensation claims (you may get stuck for that
painter's hospital bill who fell off his ladder in your hall)
- Some contractors purchase insurance in order
to get a job, only to cancel within days, thus leaving the
consumer without coverage.
- Most retailers and suppliers in a survey
don't ask if the contractors to whom they sell their products
have licenses or insurance. Their only concern is to sell
products to whomever they can.
50% of major retailers in a survey who do installed sales DO NOT
have licensed and insured contractors doing this work.
- At least 50% of companies who advertise that
they have licenses and insurance DO NOT!
60% of firms in a survey do not return phone calls! Ask your
neighbors what their experience has been with getting
contractors to return calls!
- If a "contractor" does not have a
contractor's license and business license, officially he is not
a business. If you hire such a "contractor", as his employer,
you could wind up paying all of his legal and tax liabilities
SO, FOR YOUR OWN BENEFIT AND SAFETY:
- Check on your contractor's license
- Ask for his insurance agent's name and
number, and verify his insurance
- Make sure he has no "day laborers" or
convicted felons working for him.
- Get references....and CHECK THEM OUT!
- Do not give him any money until you have
checked him out completely!